Thursday, November 10

i have never felt more inadequate

Learning has no end to it. Putting aside all the unpleasant connotations of this idea (mostly by students), I have somehow managed to give it meaning.

I don't know a whole lot of things. And that's what scares me the most. I'm just a girl, one person out of 6 billion sentient beings that walk on this planet. Day in, day out, trifling things cross my mind.

Oh no, did I inadvertently make her mad?
He's looking exceptionally good today.
I'm starving and craving for IKEA meatballs.
I love her outfit.
Didn't he wear the exact same shirt yesterday?
That was one bloody awesome lecture.

Realizing the extent to which my thoughts are superficial disappoints me.
I feel so disempowered. So limited. I wish to have gone through an education system that focuses more on the present. Emphasis on more.

By this, I mean one that encourages us to explore current pressing issues around the world, one that truly challenges us to think analytically and critically in dealing with these problems-basically, an education system that makes us believe that we can make a change by giving us the opportunity to be involved now.

At the heart of every schooling system, lies the admirable mission and vision of equipping students with knowledge. Knowledge in subjects like Chemistry, Psychology, Biology, Accounting as the ultimate passport to a secure job, which in turn, a few years down the road (depending on the selected course), is used to give back to the society, to contribute to the greater good of the people.
Highly commendable, isn't it, this noble aspiration held by those behind this philosophy?

But what about now? I am seventeen and a half years young and I have the energy and the will to do something, anything, or at very least, be given the assurance that I can make a difference in this world, that I can make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment