Monday, May 16

verbosity.

I had a dream last night and it featured a classmate of mine from 5 years back. What struck me odd was the fact that him and I had never been close. I haven't heard from him in so long. Heck, I can't even remember the last time we talked. Sure he was my friend, he'd often turn around to ask me Math in Form 1. I'd told him and he had threw in a compliment or two about my supposed intellect. That and the occasional borrowing of stationery on days he had woken up late, been in a rush and forgotten to bring his pencil case. It had been very convenient as I'd sat behind him and always had an extra of everything. Yup, I'd been a goody-two-shoes. Note the past tense. :) He'd joked about my pencil case being a stationery shop. So anyway, that was it. We'd never gotten to the personal stuff. Okay let's call him Tyler.
So in my dream, I had been standing at a long stretch of road and along it, there had been seats. Not many of them, not like the ones at a stadium where people anxiously gather to watch race cars glide noiselessly by. More of like a lemonade stand, except it wasn't. I don't know why there were random seats alongside the road. I'd absentmindedly left my phone there and was already heading away when I suddenly realized. I turned around in time to see a podgy boy mindfully clutching my phone in his fleshy hands, just about to break into a run. I let out a gasp of disbelief and instinctively sprinted towards the bobbing figure a few metres away from me. He could run pretty fast for someone with his bulk and stature. My legs gave way and from the corner of my right eye, I saw a flurry of colour. Adrenaline pumping through my veins, I blinked again and my mind registered that it was Tyler, and he was after the boy. I watched, bewildered at the sudden turn of events. His tan, toned legs moved in sync with each other, making the slightest contact against the hot road. The agile runner he was, he was light on his feet and had often represented our school in interschool track events. Within seconds, Tyler had caught the small of the boy's back and seized my phone. Tyler dashed back and handed it back to me. I remember the tangibility of the slight awkwardness that hung before I breathed a thank you. I looked at his face- 2 years worth of unspoken words instantaneously threatened to overflow. Speech seemed a painfully inadequate outlet to get everything out. Tyler barely managed to acknowledge my gratitude, he was stopped short by my alarm. He vanished, everything vanished and I was left to ponder the meaning of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment